"It won't be long before everyone is lifelogging, and wishing they had started sooner." - Stephen Wolfram
Have you ever wished you could remember what was said in a forgotten conversation? Do you need a simple way to record meetings at work, or lectures at school? Would you like to hear yourself snoring at night?
LifeBoxApp is a lifelogging and sousveillance app that captures audio 24/7 on your Android device and uploads it to your personal Dropbox account.
LifeBoxPlayer is a Java application for Mac/Linux/Windows that helps you to decrypt and review your recordings.
Your recordings are protected with SSL during the upload to Dropbox. You can optionally set a password to encrypt recordings with AES before they are uploaded. Recordings are not encrypted while they exist on your Android device or on your PC, so we recommend enabling Android device encryption, and encrypting your PC hard disk with FileVault (Mac), LUKS (Linux), BitLocker (Windows) or VeraCrypt (Windows without BitLocker).
We do not collect any data other than the anonymous analytics collected by Google Play, GitHub, and Dropbox.
Before downloading or using LifeBoxApp you must agree to comply with your local laws regarding the recording of other people. In some places it is illegal to record other people without their consent.
For example the Surveillance Devices Act 2007 (NSW, Australia), Section 7 says:
A person must not knowingly install, use or cause to be used or maintain a listening device to overhear, record, monitor or listen to a private conversation to which the person is not a party, or to record a private conversation to which the person is a party. This does not apply if a principal party to the conversation consents to the listening device being so used and the recording of the conversation is reasonably necessary for the protection of the lawful interests of that principal party, or is not made for the purpose of communicating or publishing the conversation, or a report of the conversation, to persons who are not parties to the conversation.
LifeBoxApp proposed features
- Record audio 24/7. ✔
- Upload recordings to Dropbox. ✔
- Set a password to encrypt recordings. ✔
- More upload destinations (Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, OwnCloud etc.)
- Automatic uploading.
- Discard empty recordings.
- Record other sensor data (location, motion etc.)
- Take a picture every minute.
- 24/7 video recording.
LifeBoxPlayer proposed features
- Move recordings from Dropbox to a local folder on your PC. ✔
- Decrypt recordings with your password. ✔
- Review recordings on a calendar or timeline.
- Detect empty recordings and hide or delete them.
- Transcribe recordings to text.
- Make your audio history searchable.
15 Sep 2016 - LifeBoxApp v0.1.6
- Added user agreement message.
9 Sep 2016 - LifeBoxApp v0.1.5
- Updated to Android SDK version 16.
- Changed audio format from 3GP to MP4.
- Changed date format to UTC in audio file names.
- Recordings are now excluded from Android backups.
- Removed Google Analytics tracker.
- Added new settings option to encrypt recordings with AES before they are uploaded to Dropbox. If you use this feature you will need LifeBoxPlayer for decryption.
9 Sep 2016 - LifeBoxPlayer v0.0.2
- Open the local recordings directory after importing.
8 Sep 2016 - LifeBoxPlayer v0.0.1
- Move your recordings from a synced Dropbox folder to a local folder on your PC.
- Decrypt recordings with your password if you enabled encryption in LifeBoxApp.
28 Mar 2014 - LifeBoxApp v0.1.4
- Fixed behavior of status bar icon.
1 Apr 2013 - LifeBoxApp v0.1.3
- New user interface.
26 Nov 2012- LifeBoxApp v0.1.1
- Fixed bugs.
15 Oct 2012 - LifeBoxApp v0.1.0
- It records audio on your Android device.
- It uploads recordings to Dropbox.